[Dovecot] Better APPEND performance

Hugo Monteiro hugo.monteiro at fct.unl.pt
Fri Oct 9 14:16:20 EEST 2009

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-10-07 at 17:53 -0500, Mike Abbott wrote:
>
>> 1.  For every other APPENDed message, dovecot appends the new UID to
>> the list quickly.  No problem here, this is fast.
>> 2.  For every other other APPENDed message, dovecot scans the entire
>> UID list.  This is an O(n) algorithm.  Since it happens every n/2
>> times it causes O(n^2) behavior across n consecutive APPENDs.
>>

> I'll look at this more closely later, but did you already try
> maildir_very_dirty_syncs=yes? Does this behavior happen also with it?

Hello Timo,

Also i have observed this behaviour. Although i think it's not the most
urgent matter, it would really be nice if you could speed up massive
message imports.

In our case, we don't use it that much for migration, but sometimes some
POP users like to be able to backup their messages in the IMAP server.

Thanks in advance,

Hugo Monteiro.

--
ci.fct.unl.pt:~# cat .signature

Hugo Monteiro
Email	 : hugo.monteiro at fct.unl.pt
Telefone : +351 212948300 Ext.15307
Web      : http://hmonteiro.net

Centro de Informática
Faculdade de Ciências e Tecnologia da
		   Universidade Nova de Lisboa
Quinta da Torre   2829-516 Caparica   Portugal
Telefone: +351 212948596   Fax: +351 212948548
www.ci.fct.unl.pt	      apoio at fct.unl.pt

ci.fct.unl.pt:~# _