[Dovecot] Fatal: chdir( ) failed: Permission denied

Vallo Kallaste kalts at estpak.ee
Fri Oct 9 18:14:06 EEST 2009

Hi

Dovecot fails to chdir() into users home directory giving the following error:

Oct  9 16:43:49 jura dovecot: dovecot: Fatal: chdir(/a/home/mina) failed: Permission denied (euid=1118
0(mina) egid=11332(devel) missing +x perm: /a/home)
Oct  9 16:43:49 jura dovecot: dovecot: child 14441 (imap) returned error 89 (Fatal failure)

The reason seems to be that user primary group is "devel" and directory /a/home
has ACL which gives execute permission only to the users in "domain users"
group. Now the catch is that the user _is_ member of "domain users" group and
is happily accessing his home directory over CIFS(Samba) for long time. Also,
the user has no problem entering his home directory when using shell access. It
just seems like the user lost membership of a bunch of supplementary groups.
The group membership info is coming from M$ PDC via winbind and NSS. We have
few users and can change the users primary group and/or relax the /a/home
directory ACL, but overall this is not right. Shall I shut up or can we hope
for a fix or at least explanation?

Thanks

jura:/a # ls -la
drwxrws--T+  3 root  domain admins   18 Oct  8 15:10 home

jura:/a # getfacl home/
# file: home
# owner: root
# group: domain\040admins