[Dovecot] Thunderbird saved searches, tags and Dovecot oddity

Michael Durket durket at highwire.stanford.edu
Tue Oct 13 18:50:50 EEST 2009

In converting everyone at our site from UW-IMAP I've run into a
problem with a few
Thunderbird users and I'm wondering if anyone has some recommendations.

We're running dovecot 1.0.13 (yes I know it's old but we don't upgrade
production
facilities that often). The affected Thunderbird users are running
version 2.0023.

What's happening is this:

     1) The user creates a filter rule which looks for, say, the From:
header on a
          message, and then tags that message with a Thunderbird tag
that they've
          defined (in this case "ToDo").

     2) The user also defines a search folderthat shows all mail items
tagged "ToDo".

     3) Every day, the user opens the folder, handles all the ToDo
messages and
          untags them as they are handled, causing them to disappear
from the
          folder.

     4) The next day (or the next time Thunderbird is started), all
the previously
          tagged messages are back (in addition to newer ones).

  This doesn't happen with UW-IMAP (version imap-2007e which I think
is the
last version with bug fixes ever issued). I haven't traced out the
IMAP commands
going back and forth yet to see what might be different between the
two servers -
I thought I'd ask here first to see if this is a known issue for which
there is a solution
(like upgrading dovecot to a specific version).