[Dovecot] v2.0.alpha1 released

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Tue Oct 13 23:38:17 EEST 2009

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> 	+ Redesigned master process. It's now more modular and there is less
> 	  code running as root

Hi, some really interesting stuff coming out of this.  Looks cool!

Something I had been pondering recently (I started using a cell phone
with imap idle support), was a previous poster mentioning the huge
increase in battery life from turning off the radio for as long as
possible. It appears that just turning on the radio (wifi or 3G)
consumes much more energy than the transmitting of a few bytes of data
after it's on.  In particular synchronising certain types of infrequent
transmissions may have a dramatic increase in battery life for mobile
devices - I'm thinking mainly of the NOOPs when the connection is idling

Is this something that could be implemented with the current
architecture?  Are there other types of application where synchronising
"stuff" happening to multiple connections from the same client could be
helpful?

Just a thought...

Ed W