[Dovecot] v2.0.alpha1 released

Patrick Ben Koetter p at state-of-mind.de
Wed Oct 14 01:05:45 EEST 2009

* Timo Sirainen <dovecot at dovecot.org>:
> On Tue, 2009-10-13 at 21:38 +0100, Ed W wrote:
> > Something I had been pondering recently (I started using a cell phone
> > with imap idle support), was a previous poster mentioning the huge
> > increase in battery life from turning off the radio for as long as
> > possible. It appears that just turning on the radio (wifi or 3G)
> > consumes much more energy than the transmitting of a few bytes of data
> > after it's on.  In particular synchronising certain types of infrequent
> > transmissions may have a dramatic increase in battery life for mobile
> > devices - I'm thinking mainly of the NOOPs when the connection is idling

Idling consumes lots of battery on mobiles, because it requires an active TCP
session. Cell phone providers use a trick to circumvent that. They send a SMS
(with a service signature that hides it from regular SMS readers) containing a
trigger signal which causes the mobile to check for new mail.

This uses less battery. You may want to check if you application/mobile
supports this.

p at rick