[Dovecot] v2.0.alpha1 released

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Wed Oct 14 13:20:15 EEST 2009

Nikolay Shopik wrote:
> On 14.10.2009 2:30, Ed W wrote:
>> Actually, here's the original Nokia paper - just reading it now, seems
>> quite interesting:
>>
>> http://research.nokia.com/files/NRCTR2008002.pdf
>>
> I wonder whats difference between WM phones which connects to Exchange
> servers using same TCP socket via HTTP(S) and push messages while
> doing seems fine for battery life.

I'm not sure I understand the question, but bear in mind that WM phones
are usually massively hungry for power even at idle and usually have
fairly short battery lives (and big batteries) and so the *incremental*
cost of using the network may be much less apparent in that case?

Note how the author finds that his radio card consumes something like
33mA at idle, compared with his notes that other authors measure
200-400mA from various WM device radios - he notes something about
perhaps there being some more research needed on choose a good radio card...

Actually for those not reading the news, CE6.5 is getting panned in
reviews right now, MS have fumbled this "Sidekick"/Danger device thing
big time (spent half a billion dollars buying the company and then lost
all the data and likely all the customers in one day...) and it looks
like their ipod killer (Pink?) is stillborn and they are getting beaten
up for effectively spending the money twice building a phone + a zune
when both basically do similar things.  Looks like WM devices may get
passed over quite a bit until CE7 is released in a blaze of glory...  Oh
also in the news this month is that the LSE is to move away from it's
Microsoft .Net platform, plus a slew of massive bug fixes for all their
platforms.  All in all a tough month for MS, but to their credit they
seem to have avoided many of them making the major news channels apart
from the fairly anti-MS end of the geek press...

Ed W