[Dovecot] Questions regarding dbox migration

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Oct 14 19:24:01 EEST 2009

On Wed, 2009-10-14 at 12:18 -0400, Charles Marcus wrote:
> On 10/14/2009, Timo Sirainen (tss at iki.fi) wrote:
> > BTW. Have you tried maildir_very_dirty_syncs=yes setting? That should
> > reduce disk i/o, and I'm really interested in hearing how much.
>
> What are the downsides? Also, I'm guessing maybe there are certain
> conditions where you definitely don't want to do it?

The only reason you wouldn't want to set it is if cur/ directory is
modified outside Dovecot. Or Dovecot is used without index files (or
e.g. with NFS and local index files). The point being: Dovecot trusts
index files to be up-to-date with cur/ directory's contents.

Although even then it still checks the cur/'s mtime to see if it had
changed. The only problem is if Dovecot changes it at the same time as
non-Dovecot. Then it doesn't know that there was a change. Unless the
filesystem supports nano/microsecond mtimes, that'll make it very
unlikely for Dovecot to miss this.