[Dovecot] Questions regarding dbox migration

Mikkel mikkel at euro123.dk
Thu Oct 15 01:07:49 EEST 2009

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-10-14 at 23:52 +0200, Mikkel wrote:
>> But it should be able to heal itself using the backup files in version
>> 2.0, right?
>
> That's the theory anyway. :)
>
>> How often are they created anyway?
>
> Whenever dovecot.index file would normally get recreated, the old one is
> first link()ed to dovecot.index.backup. So that depends on various
> things. You could compare timestamp differences between dovecot.index
> and dovecot.index.log in your current system. Perhaps I should add some
> extra code that guarantees that .backup gets created at least once .. a
> day? week? .. (assuming there have been changes)

I would like it to happen as often as possible unless you expect a lot
of I/O to happen on this account.
In that case perhaps it could be made a configurable option so the
system administrator could decide for himself which risk/performance
profile would fit in the specific situation?

Regards, Mikkel