[Dovecot] Questions regarding dbox migration

dovecot at corwyn.net dovecot at corwyn.net
Thu Oct 15 07:15:18 EEST 2009

At 12:18 PM 10/14/2009, Charles Marcus wrote:
>Not that you need any help, but I would suggest to just focus on making
>the conversion tools (mbox/maildir > (m)dbox, old config > new config,
>etc) rock solid, and document any incompatibilities really well.

It'd be nice to think you were kidding, but I'll be you're not.

I'd guess that there's no two "the same" configs of dovecot out
there. I can't see any way to test for all of them. Heck,
documentation for any particular environment/config, while abundant,
is never quite exactly right because of that. (and for that matter I
never could find one set of docs that covered everything I needed for
a complete setup - I hate to merge dozens of docs on implementation).
Dovecot is just a component of a larger mail infrastructure that's
part of the zillions of choices in open source.

And that's going to suck. Mail is probably the most critical business
app out there. Upgrading with incompatibilities is going to be a
nightmare for me, and that's even considering that I have a parallel
pre-production environment.

But it comes with using open source software (and quality code at
that), so I live with it.

Rick