[Dovecot] Two passwords: One for Dovecot IMAP and One for Dovecot SASL? Is it possible?

Geert Hendrickx ghen at telenet.be
Thu Oct 15 16:20:37 EEST 2009

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 03:18:12PM -0400, Art Gray - Razorpoint wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Can Dovecot can handle separate authentication for receiving mail (IMAPS)
> and sending mail (SMTPS)?  In the past, we used Dovecot IMAP for the
> receiving part and Cyrus SASL for the sending part.  This allowed us to
> use two passwords with mail.  Cyrus has grown too old and isn't useful
> anymore.  Can Dovecot give us this functionality: two passwords, one for
> IMAP authentication and one for SASL authentication?
>
> If so, could you point me in the right direction to get this working?

If your authentication method supports multiple passwords (eg. LDAP with
authentication binding) AND you allow your users to use either password
for either server (ie. you're just providing backwards compatibility, not
enforcing to use different passwords), it could work just like that.

Otherwise I think you'd have to setup separate dovecot instances.

	Geert

--
Geert Hendrickx  -=-  ghen at telenet.be  -=-  PGP: 0xC4BB9E9F