[Dovecot] v2.0.alpha1 released

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Oct 16 01:15:08 EEST 2009

On Wed, 2009-10-14 at 00:14 +0100, Ed W wrote:
> > next_still_here_sending_timestamp = imap_idle_notify_interval -
> >   (time(NULL) + crc32(username)) % imap_idle_notify_interval;
> >
> > The username CRC32 is there to avoid network/load spikes when all the
> > processes try to send the "Still here" at the same time.
>

> Just to kick this around a bit - I guess it's possible for one username
> to be logged in on three different computers (eg I have several laptops
> with identical config and sometimes several of them are on at once).  On
> the other hand my original idea was to compromise on "hashing" by IP
> address, this is obviously wrong in the sense that frequently multiple
> users are behind large NAT ranges, especially if they are on some sort
> of WAN connection

And it's especially bad if Dovecot is run behind proxy and doesn't know
anyone's IP address.

> However, I guess for maximum polish it would be optimal to hash based on
> both username and ip address?  This would appear to be useful in your
> algorithm above anyway though?

I'm just wondering if some mobile networks can give you different IPs
for different connections, like when you open first connection in area X
and then move around to area Y and open another connection it gives you
a new IP, but still keeps the old connections working? In that situation
adding IP to the hash wouldn't be a good idea.