[Dovecot] master:Error @2.0 TLS login, "Too large auth data_size sent"

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Oct 16 02:19:04 EEST 2009

On Thu, 2009-10-15 at 16:09 -0700, PGNet Dev wrote:
> > Run "ulimit -c unlimited" before starting
> > dovecot, then it should write core file to user's home directory.
> > http://dovecot.org/bugreport.html
>
>     *  Dovecot must have been started without core dump size limit
> being too low. Run ulimit -c unlimited before starting Dovecot.
>
> hm, already @ unlimited,
>
> 	bash -c ulimit
> 		unlimited
>
> ah, tcsh-ism,
>
> 	limit coredumpsize
> 		coredumpsize 0 kbytes
> 	limit coredumpsize unlimited
> 		coredumpsize unlimited

If you start Dovecot via "service", it probably overrides the ulimit in
some script. Make sure you see:

cat /proc/`pidof dovecot`/limits|grep core
Max core file size        unlimited            unlimited            bytes

Easiest probably just to start dovecot with:

ulimit -c unlimited
dovecot

> in master.conf
> 	service imap {
> 		protocol                  = imap
> 		executable                = gdbhelper /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/imap

Well, with gdbhelper you won't ever get a core. I can't actually even
remember how gdbhelper is supposed to work. Just don't use it.

>     * Set mail_drop_priv_before_exec = yes in config file.

This is no longer necessary at all with Linux.