[Dovecot] v2.0.alpha1 released

Fri Oct 16 19:00:17 EEST 2009

On 10/16/2009, Ed W (lists at wildgooses.com) wrote:
> Well, I'm not going to over-argue the point, but right now I
> personally have both a desktop AND a mobile device (and expect this
> to be a common situation for most users with a mobile device), so in
> my case I prefer to have the mobile device talking as little as
> possible, and to distinguish the two devices we probably need to use
> something like IP as a proxy (not perfect of course because both
> could be behind the same NAT...)

I agree that this use case will be more and more common with time.

Most of this conversation is over my head, but if there is no simple
solution for distinguishing devices on the same inbound IP, maybe the
'best' solution would be to set up different named hosts to connect to
(mobilemail.example.com vs imap/mail.example.com) and have each pointed
to a different dovecot instance that is optimized accordingly?