[Dovecot] NFS random redirects

Thomas Hummel hummel at pasteur.fr
Mon Oct 19 16:35:10 EEST 2009

Hello,

Dovecot documentation states that the "random redirects to multiple servers"
NFS solution is to be avoided and I'm investigation the actual risks of it and
a way to put it to test.

I'm running dovecot-1.2.6 with Maildir (indexes, mailboxes and control files
are all on NFS) and I'm using procmail instead of deliver as the LDA.

  1. Documentation says : "Dovecot locks the maildir while doing modifications
     to it or while looking for new messages in it" and then mention the
     "dovecot-uidlist.lock" dotlock file.

      a) if that file fcntl'ed in addition (i.e. dotlocked + fcntled or just dotlocked) ?

      b) is that file THE way to lock the Maildir mentionned above or is it
        just something else used only for updating that particular file (i.e. is
        Maildir locked in some way + dovecot-uidlist.lock created or just
        dovecot-uidlist.lock created) ?

  2. Documentation says : "NFS caching is a big problem when multiple computers
     are accessing the same mailbox simultaneously"

     I guess it's because of the dotlocks files and not fcntl locking ? Is
     there anything else than dovecot-uidlist which is dotlocked ? If yes, is it
     dotlocked only or dotlocked and fcntled ?

  3. Documentation says : "Dovecot v1.1 flushes NFS caches when needed if you set mail_nfs_storage=yes"

     How can a program flush the NFS caches ? By which (system) call ?

  4. Documentation says : "Besides the NFS cache problems described above,
     mailbox contents can't be cached as well in the memory either."

    Is it about in-memory indexes or part of indexes loaded into memory ?

  5. How can I torture-test concurrent access to the same mailbox through 2
     dovecot servers ? I don't see imaptest.c anymore on http://dovecot.org/tools
     but I see 2 nfs_test ? Is there some command line options I should use ?

  6. when and why can a random redirect to multiple server can cause mailbox
     corruption ? On flags only or on content as well ?

Thanks

--
Thomas Hummel 	    | Institut Pasteur
<hummel at pasteur.fr> | Pôle informatique - systèmes et réseau