[Dovecot] Courier to dovecot migration issue

David Warden warden at geneseo.edu
Tue Oct 20 18:00:25 EEST 2009

On Oct 20, 2009, at 10:04 AM, Rami Rami wrote:

> Hello,
> I am trying to migrate users form courier to dovecot 1.2.6.
> The main configuration parameters are as follows :
> # 1.2.6: /usr/local/etc/dovecot.conf
> Warning: fd limit 1024 is lower than what Dovecot can use under full
> load
> (more than 2304). Either grow the limit or change
> login_max_processes_count
> and max_mail_processes settings
> # OS: Linux 2.6.16-1.2133_FC5 i686 Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux)
> base_dir: /usr/local/var/run/
> log_path: /var/log/dovecot.log
> info_log_path: /var/log/maillog
> protocols: imap imaps pop3 pop3s
> ssl: no
> disable_plaintext_auth: no
> login_dir: /usr/local/var/run//login
> login_executable(default): /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/imap-login
> login_executable(imap): /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/imap-login
> login_executable(pop3): /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/pop3-login
> max_mail_processes: 2048
> verbose_proctitle: yes
> first_valid_uid: 100
> last_valid_uid: 1000000
> mail_location:
> maildir:~/Maildir:INDEX=/tmp/QUOTA/index/%u:CONTROL=/tmp/QUOTA/
> control/%u
> mail_debug: yes
> mail_executable(default): /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/imap
> mail_executable(imap): /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/imap
> mail_executable(pop3): /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/pop3
> mail_plugins(default): quota imap_quota
> mail_plugins(imap): quota imap_quota
> mail_plugins(pop3):
> mail_plugin_dir(default): /usr/local/lib/dovecot/imap
> mail_plugin_dir(imap): /usr/local/lib/dovecot/imap
> mail_plugin_dir(pop3): /usr/local/lib/dovecot/pop3
> namespace:
>  type: private
>  prefix: INBOX.
>  inbox: yes
>  list: yes
>  subscriptions: yes
> auth default:
>  passdb:
>    driver: pam
>    args: *
>  userdb:
>    driver: passwd
> plugin:
>  quota: fs:acad_proto
>
> After using the "courier-dovecot-migrate.pl" script users using pop3
> are
> re-downloading their old emails as duplicates.
> This issue is resolved by replacing :
> maildir:~/Maildir:INDEX=/tmp/QUOTA/index/%u:CONTROL=/tmp/QUOTA/
> control/%u
>
> with
>
> maildir:~/Maildir
>

> any idea on the reason of these duplicates or workarounds to prevent
> them
> while keeping indexes in /tmp.
>
> Thank you.

When you ran courier-dovecot-migrate.pl, did you have it put the
dovecot files in /tmp/QUOTA/index/%u and /tmp/QUOTA/control/%u? In my
experience, the courier migration script wants to output the converted
dovecot files in the same directories as it found the courier files.
If you didn't copy the converted dovecot files to the proper directory
in your /tmp structure, dovecot would have no knowledge of the old POP
messages and would generate new POP UIDLs, causing double messages in
users' clients.

-David Warden