[Dovecot] IMAP goes down from time to time

Andreas Ntaflos daff at dword.org
Tue Oct 20 20:29:28 EEST 2009

On Tuesday 20 October 2009 19:15:35 Juan Felipe Estrada wrote:
> Good Afternoon
>
> I´m really new at this and i don´t know if i´m posting at the right
> place.
>
> My problem is that our Dovecot IMAP is stopping from time to time
> with no info in the log, i just realize about this when our support
> person call me saying that the whatsup monitor is showing the IMAP4
> process down. I can figure about this too by trying to get in our
> webmail Horde and i cannot login.
>
> Here i post my Dovecot -n command i´ll appreciate any help.
>
> /# 1.0.7: /etc/dovecot.conf

Preliminary idea: this is a very old version of Dovecot. Before diving
into debugging sessions maybe you could do yourself a favour and update
to a more recent version, such as 1.2.6?

Now, when you realise that some process (is it imap-login or imap?) is
down can you log into the server and confirm that, using ps or another
tool? You say the log files don't tell you anything. Can you set
auth_debug = yes and/or mail_debug = yes? Maybe that can give you a
clou.

And how about the LDAP server? Being unable to log in could have
something to do with the authentication backend. How does your
dovecot-ldap.conf look like? Could it be that the LDAP lookup somehow
crashes an IMAP-related process?

A newer, better Dovecot version will probably help you a lot with the
debugging. It may even make the error go away. You should seriously
consider upgrading.

HTH

Andreas
--
Andreas Ntaflos
Vienna, Austria

GPG Fingerprint: 6234 2E8E 5C81 C6CB E5EC  7E65 397C E2A8 090C A9B4