[Dovecot] simple steps with sieve

Gavin Hamill gdh at acentral.co.uk
Tue Oct 20 20:48:27 EEST 2009

On Tue, 2009-10-20 at 12:28 -0400, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-10-20 at 17:34 +0200, Stephan Bosch wrote:
> > 6) Adjust Deliver/Sieve to accept the original recipient as a separate
> > parameter.
>
> I think more like "alias-normalized recipient" or something like that,
> since "original recipient" would be what -a parameter does and that
> doesn't really help.
>
> That would solve it from Dovecot's side, but does it actually help,
> meaning can any MTA give such a parameter? :)

If we go down that road, we'll probably need at least two seperate
inputs, one for the alias-normalised, and one for the publicly
advertised email address.

Hence, when the autoreply is generated, it comes from
<firstname.lastname at somerealdomain.com> rather than
<ar-flastname at localhost> or whatever it's become normalised to.

That said, it's at least one step further down the road to a working
solution.

At the moment I'm hacking at roundcube's sieverules plugin to try and
draw up the functionality without requiring any changes in the MTA/LDA,
but a more generic solution would be very welcome since it'd provide
protection from the next inevitable roundcube security hole.

.. alternatively a plaintext dict of "fromaddress alias1 aliasN" would
be clumsy but easily scriptable to update from any LDAP/MySQL/sqlite
database...

Cheers,
Gavin.