[Dovecot] [sendmail] deliver+sieve: Destination address (-a) parsing changes

Andrzej Adam Filip anfi at onet.eu
Wed Oct 21 10:21:48 EEST 2009

"Frank Behrens" <frank at ilse.behrens.de> wrote:
> When I upgraded my old, long running dovecot 1.1 to newer dovecot-1.2.4 + doevecot-sieve-
> 0.1.12 I observed a change in destination address (-a) parsing.
>
> Old behaviour:
> When Timo introduced this feature
> (http://www.dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2007-September/025813.html)
> it was possible to hand over only the detail part. In my sendmail configuration I used "-a +$h",
> where $h contains the detail part and may be empty. By default sendmail can call the delivery
> agent with the following information:
> $u: The recipient user (always set)
> $h: Detail part, may be empty
> $g: The sender address (relative to the recipient).
>
> New behaviour:
> The current sieve version needs a complete address with local- and
> domain-part. Otherwise we get a warning like
> deliver(user): sieve: envelope recipient address 'user' is unparseable.
>
> The problem is, that the domain part is not always available, e.g. for
> local delivered emails.  This is the main problem, although the setup
> could be simplified if deliver would accept the old syntax. I'm going
> to make modifications to sendmail to be able to have all address
> information available, but this will not solve the problem with
> missing domain.
>
> Now comes my question: Is it better to enhance the address parsing in
> sieve plugin or should I use a wrapper around deliver? The latter is
> not very difficult, but introduces an additional process (that may
> fail).

It is possible to "significantly" twist sendmail.cf use $h to select
dovecot's mailbox and $u to pass user+detail at domain (one *or many*).
[ BTW the way I think about  will make sendmail support "alises with
domains" instead
of current "aliases after domain stripping"]

It is not a big deal if:
* all dovecot's mailboxes are owned by single non root OS account
* sendmail is supposed to start dovecot-deliver with root privileges

P.S.
I have written a few sendmail.cf recipients intended to support more
than "one and the only" local mailer.

[pl>en: Andrew] Andrzej Adam Filip : anfi at onet.eu
CF&C stole it, fair and square.
  -- Tim Hahn