[Dovecot] HA Dovecot Config?

Anthony anthony at dcoding.com
Thu Oct 22 17:28:09 EEST 2009

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 12:57:56PM +0100, Ed W wrote:
> Steve wrote:
>
> The thread moved on and no one seemed to bite, but I also have watched
> glusterfs for a long while now and been very attracted by the basic
> principle. I would be very interested to hear more about how it's worked
> out for you?  Got any benchmarks, perhaps comparing against local
> storage and vs NFS?

I'd also recommend testing DRBD

I tested and ran a glusterfs cluster on 3 production servers
for several months, however with only a small load, nothing
substantial. Through testing and production, I didn't run into
a single issue, stability or otherwise.

However, having said that, and as long as we're talking HA...

Complaints about stability are very common on the glusterfs
mailing lists. I also have issue with the fuse layer, it has
always been unstable in my experiences with it. Because of
this, I dropped the idea of a glusterfs cluster. IMO, it isn't
quite production ready.

Maybe that's just my pain threshold though, and it doesn't mean
I find glusterfs unusable either. But, mail users are finicky,
and waste enough of my time already.

I am actively pursuing a DRBD cluster now. Benchmarks on DRBD +
OCFS2 showed similar throughput, and the project appears to
be more stable.
--
Anthony