[Dovecot] meaning of parameter imap_idle_notify_interval??

Ingo Thierack i.thierack at iwt-promotion.com
Mon Oct 26 22:20:27 EET 2009

Hello,

once more again.

upgrade the server to the latest kernel and libs (namely CentOS 5.4).

Same problem.

Set notify interval to 180 seconds.
The message appears without intervention around 140 seconds after
it was delivered to the inbox.

2009-10-26 21:01:09 | dovecot:               |  deliver(ingoiwt at ghostdive.org): sieve: msgid=<ac2e3a8f0910261301r4d1f38dfx83e6d01d29394fd3 at mail.gmail.com>: stored mail into mailbox 'INBOX'

In thunderbird it appears around 21:03:30

It looks like, only when dovecot sends the message, thunderbird will refresh its view.

At the moment, i set it to 10 Seconds. But this will be an overkill for
an mobilconnection :-P

[root at mail log]# /opt/dovecot/sbin/dovecot --build-options
Build options: ioloop=epoll notify=inotify ipv6 openssl
Mail storages: cydir dbox maildir mbox raw shared
SQL drivers: postgresql
Passdb: checkpassword pam passwd passwd-file shadow sql
Userdb: nss passwd passwd-file prefetch sql static

[root at mail log]# /opt/dovecot/sbin/dovecot -n
# 1.2.6: /opt/dovecot/etc/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 2.6.18-164.el5 i686 CentOS release 5.4 (Final) ext3
base_dir: /var/run/dovecot/
listen: *:143
ssl_listen: *:993
ssl_cert_file: /opt/dovecot/etc/ssl/certs/mail.ghostdive.org.crt
ssl_key_file: /opt/dovecot/etc/ssl/private/mail.ghostdive.org.key
disable_plaintext_auth: no
login_dir: /var/run/dovecot/login
login_executable: /opt/dovecot/libexec/dovecot/imap-login
login_greeting: ready.
login_processes_count: 10
mail_max_userip_connections: 50
mail_location: maildir:/mnt/mail/%u/Maildir:INDEX=/var/spool/indexes/%u
mailbox_idle_check_interval: 2
dbox_rotate_size: 4096
dbox_rotate_days: 30
imap_client_workarounds: tb-extra-mailbox-sep
imap_idle_notify_interval: 180
lda:
  postmaster_address: postmaster at ghostdive.org
  hostname: mail.ghostdive.org
  mail_plugins: sieve
  mail_plugin_dir: /opt/dovecot/lib/dovecot/lda
  sendmail_path: /opt/postfix26/sbin/sendmail
auth default:
  mechanisms: plain cram-md5 digest-md5
  passdb:
    driver: sql