[Dovecot] Test environment question

Stewart Dean sdean at bard.edu
Tue Oct 27 18:52:19 EET 2009

I want to test out my first V1.2 Dovecot (upgraded from V1.1) instance.
What I have in mind to do is to run it on another machine that has the
Inbox dir and homedirs  NFS import mounted from the production
mailserver.  I then have 5 people test it in this test environment....

A) Then I can deal with the index filesystem in one of two ways:
   1) Make it local OR
   2) NFS import it from the production DC server
Comments as to which is best?  I have used #1 before...which caused some
temporary unhappiness with the switchover and switchback....during which
time the index is badly wrong and DC auto-rebuilds it...

B) Is there anything else I should do/not do?
C) Any ugliness that will surface in this testing lashup but isn't
important?

--
==== Stewart Dean, Unix System Admin, Henderson Computer Resources
Center of Bard College, Annandale-on-Hudson, New York 12504