[Dovecot] mailbox count folders issues

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Oct 27 23:50:22 EET 2009

On Tue, 2009-10-27 at 09:48 +0200, Nikita Koshikov wrote:
> I have one user, which have a lot of folders (not it is 414 without INBOX). When he tries to create one more folder with random name - the folder successfully created, but LIST command invokes out of memory to imap process.
>
> From the logs:
> Oct 26 15:26:38 IMAP(gozhda.a at domain.com): Panic: data stack: Out of memory when allocating 268435472 bytes
> Oct 26 15:26:38 IMAP(gozhda.a at domain.com): Error: *** glibc detected *** imap: double free or corruption (!prev): 0x0812ba00 ***

This is bad. Can you reproduce it easily? Could you cause this crash
under valgrind? For example:

protocol imap {
  mail_executable = /usr/local/bin/imap.sh
}

and /usr/local/bin/imap.sh:

#!/bin/sh

if [ $USER = "gozhda.a at domain.com" ]; then
  exec /usr/bin/valgrind /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap
else
  exec /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap
fi

Valgrind will hopefully then log to Dovecot's log what exactly is the
problem.

It's anyway related to one of your virtual maiboxes. I suppose you have
a virtual mailbox that includes messages from all real mailboxes?