[Dovecot] mailbox count folders issues

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Oct 28 20:17:52 EET 2009

On Wed, 2009-10-28 at 10:39 +0200, Nikita Koshikov wrote:
> > > Oct 26 15:26:38 IMAP(gozhda.a at domain.com): Panic: data stack: Out of memory when allocating 268435472 bytes
> > > Oct 26 15:26:38 IMAP(gozhda.a at domain.com): Error: *** glibc detected *** imap: double free or corruption (!prev): 0x0812ba00 ***

Oh, the double free is because of broken handling of out-of-memory
error. http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-1.2/rev/acfef2f0fec3 probably fixes
that.

> > It's anyway related to one of your virtual maiboxes. I suppose you have
> > a virtual mailbox that includes messages from all real mailboxes?
>
> Yes, I have two virtual mailboxes:
> all - contains all messages
> favorites - contains flagged letters
>
> But this user didn't subscribe to any of them.

Backtrace shows that it crashes while trying to refresh a virtual
mailbox.

Hmm. So I guess there's no memory corruption causing this, but I don't
really see why it would try to allocate that much memory. 268435472 in
hex is 0x10000010, which is an interesting number but doesn't really
help much either.

Can you make sure debugging symbols aren't stripped from imap binary
(i.e. "file /usr/.../dovecot/imap" says "not stripped", this is the
default when compiling Dovecot from sources) and get gdb backtrace?
http://dovecot.org/bugreport.html Then I could see exactly where it's
crashing and figuring out this would be a lot easier.