[Dovecot] 1.1 Quota Question

Marty Anstey marty.anstey at sunwave.net
Thu Oct 29 23:01:01 EET 2009

>>> We are currently running Dovecot 1.1.16 & Postfix; maildir++.
>>>
>>> When a message arrives for a mailbox which is over quota, it is bounced.
>>> Obviously, this isn't very desirable; the primary downside to this is
>>> that when junk mail hits a full mailbox it's bounced to that recipient
>>> of the message. On a busy mail system, that could potentially get us
>>> blacklisted pretty quickly. Ideally we would like to reject the messages
>>> inline. Is there an easy way to set this up?
>>>

>> a) Use deliver -e parameter and configure your MTA to wait on replying
>> to DATA command until deliver has finished. I don't know how to make
>> Postfix do this (or perhaps it does it by default? dunno).
>>
>> b) Use quota_warning scripts on 100% quota usage to update user's "quota
>> full" bit in a database (or wherever) and have Postfix reject RCPT TO
>> command based on that information. I don't know how to do that on
>> Postfix's side either.
Thanks for the feedback.

Option (a) sounds like the cleanest solution, but a bit of testing
showed that Postfix doesn't wait on deliver before replying to DATA so
this seems to always result in a bounce. I've perused the postfix
documentation but so far no luck; if anyone reading this has any insight
on how we might configure postfix to behave this way, could you please
let me know (maybe offlist would be best, as this may be considered
somewhat off-topic).

We are using something similar to option (b) currently, but it's not
really an elegant approach and we would really like to move away from
it. Option (a) sounds great, if we can somehow get it to work.

TIA,
Marty