[Dovecot] OT: IMAP folder aliases

Stefan Förster cite+dovecot-users at incertum.net
Fri Sep 25 18:39:01 EEST 2009

* Patrick Ben Koetter <p at state-of-mind.de>:
> Has anyone seen an approach or a solution that solves the problem from a users
> point of view? A server side alias list that maps to a server standard?

Tried that, didn't work out that great (users got confused by 12
dozillion "sent" folders).

As for know, I auto-subscribe new users to a public namespace which
contains information on how to configure their email clients exactly
the same way that the different webmail interfaces I offer are.

As a second line of defense, a cron script checks once a day if
there is a typical "duplication" of folders ("sent", "sent-mail",
"Gesendet") and this script then proceeds to annoy the hell out of
said users by sending them an email once a day, until the user either
acknowledges that he doesn't care (database entry), fixes the problem
or opts in for an automatic fix (moving messages to the right folders.
Make sure to include a huge disclaimer, this kills indices).

Ciao
Stefan
--
Stefan Förster     http://www.incertum.net/     Public Key: 0xBBE2A9E9
FdI #28: ... werden wir den Schutz Minderjähriger in den Vordergrund -