[Dovecot] Dsync ignores INBOX when converting from mbox to maildir

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Aug 3 17:57:11 EEST 2010

On Tue, 2010-08-03 at 11:20 -0300, Henrique Fernandes wrote:

> Like
> location1 is production.
>
> location1 has 1000 emails.
>
> I mirror it to location2
>
> Now the owner of location1 deletes some emails! and have now 989
>
> If i do mirroging again, it has to choose if it will copy back from
> location2 to location1 or erase mails in location2
>
> How does it decide with one its going to do ?

If mails are deleted in location1, mirroring causes the mails to be
deleted from location2 as well. If new mails are added to location2,
they are copied to location1. This is pretty easy to handle because in
IMAP the UID numbers always grow, so if you see UIDs 1,5,10 in location1
and UIDs 1,10 in location2, you'll know that in location1 UID 5 was
deleted. UIDs at the end of the mailbox are then handled specially by
looking up from index files if they were actually deleted. And there is
some conflict checking also by looking message GUIDs.

http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Design/Dsync has also some text about how the
syncing works internally. I should update it though..