[Dovecot] sender address of sieve vacation script

Odhiambo Washington odhiambo at gmail.com
Thu Aug 5 17:12:02 EEST 2010

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 5:07 PM, Wolfgang Burger <burgerw at immunbio.mpg.de>wrote:

> Hi,
> not entirerly sure wether this is the right place to ask. Sorry if not.
> I´m running dovecot on a Mac OS X Server (10.6.4).
> Everything works fine.
> When I try to enable a vacation message, I get the following error in the
> log:
> delays=0/0.01/0.09/0.1, dsn=5.0.0, status=bounced (host XXX[x.x.x.x] said:
> 553 Mail to <name at domain.tld> not allowed; missing domain name in MAIL
> FROM (in reply to RCPT TO command))
>
> Where host is the mail relay. The logs on the mail relay show matching
> entries.
> Sending mails is generally working.
>
> I´ve sniffed the network traffic and the FROM Field in the SMTP transfer
> contains only the following text:
> <>
>
> I´ve allready set the value of myorigin in /private/etc/postfix/main.cfbut to no avail.
> Can somebody tell me where I can set the sender address of the vacation
> mail?
> Or is there something else wrong?

The <> represents the "null sender" in SMTP parlance. I think the issue here
is that the destination SMTP server does NOT accept the null sender (<>),
and that is a br0ken configuration. It has nothing to do with Dovecot
though. I am not good at interpreting postfix logs so I cannot advise
further.

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,