[Dovecot] Dovecot 2.0.rc4 not generating ssl-parameters.dat on first start

Andreas M. Kirchwitz amk at krell.zikzak.de
Thu Aug 5 22:52:05 EEST 2010

	Dear Dovecot lovers!

When starting Dovecot 1.x the first time, it runs "ssl-build-params"
to generate a file named "ssl-parameters.dat". This takes a couple
of minutes. During this time users have no access to their mail,
but this can be planned in advance and users can be notified.
This is explained in http://wiki.dovecot.org/SSL/DovecotConfiguration

With Dovecot 2.0.rc4, the new command "ssl-params" seems to do this job,
but unfortunately it isn't run on first start of Dovecot but the start
is delayed until a user connects to port 993 (or does STARTTLS in 143).
According to http://wiki2.dovecot.org/SSL/DovecotConfiguration
it should behave the same way as Dovecot 1 did.

So, with Dovecot 2.0.rc4 it hits the first user who wants to establish
a secure connection. It's hard to explain this to users. ;-)

Of course, I could simply run "telnet <imaphost> 993" manually after
installation. I also tried running "ssl-params" manually before starting
Dovecot but it stays in foreground forever and doesn't seem to finish
(what is it waiting for?) So it would be really great if Dovecot 2 could
do this on its own like Dovecot 1 did.

	Besides that, Dovecot 2.0 runs like a charm ... Andreas