[Dovecot] net_connect_unix(/var/run/dovecot/dict-server) failed: Resource temporarily unavailable

Jerrale G jerrale at sheltoncomputers.com
Wed Aug 11 00:06:18 EEST 2010

  On 8/10/2010 3:16 PM, Jerrale G wrote:
> [...]
> read(/var/run/dovecot/dict-server) failed: Timeout after 30 seconds
> Aug 10 15:07:57 server1 dovecot: dict: Fatal:
> dict_driver_register(mysql): Already registered
> Aug 10 15:08:09 server1 last message repeated 4428 times
>
> On another note, Thunderbird is starting to get on my nerves, sending
> this message before I was finished.
>
> Here is the relevant config:
>
> dovecot-mysql query:
>
> user_query = SELECT CONCAT('/home/mail/', mailboxes.domain, '/',
> mailboxes.username, '/') AS home, CONCAT('/home/mail/',
> mailboxes.domain, '/', mailboxes.username, '/sieve/',
> mailboxes.username, '.sieve') as sieve, CONCAT('/home/mail/',
> mailboxes.domain, '/', mailboxes.username, '/sieve/') as sieve_dir,
> CONCAT('/home/mail/', mailboxes.domain, '/', mailboxes.username,
> '/mail/') AS maildir, uid AS uid, gid AS gid,
> CONCAT('maildir:storage=', ROUND(mailboxes.quota/1200), 'M') AS
> quota_rule, 'Trash:ignore' AS quota_rule2 FROM mail.mailboxes WHERE
> username = '%n' AND domain = '%d' AND active = '1'
>
> dovecot.conf:
> protocol managesieve {
>    listen = localhost:2001
>    managesieve_implementation_string = dovecot
>    managesieve_logout_format = bytes ( in=%i : out=%o )
>    mail_executable = /usr/libexec/dovecot/managesieve
>    login_executable =  /usr/libexec/dovecot/managesieve-login
> }
>
> auth_debug = no
> auth default {
>
> mechanisms = plain login
>
>   passdb sql {
>     args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-mysql.conf
> #   scheme = cram-md5
>   }
>   userdb sql {
>     args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-mysql.conf
>   }
>   user = mail
>   socket listen {
>     client {
>       path = /var/spool/postfix/private/auth
>       user = postfix
>       group = postfix
>       mode = 0660
>     }
>      master {
>     path = /var/run/dovecot/auth-master
>     mode = 0666
>    }
>   }
> }
> dict {
> #  # NOTE: dict process currently runs as root, so this file will be
> owned as root.
> expire = mysql:/etc/dovecot/dict-expire.conf
> quotadict = mysql:/etc/dovecot/dict-quota.conf
> }
>
> plugin {
> quota = dict:user::proxy::quotadict
>
> expire = Trash 7 Trash/* 7 Spam 30
> expire_dict = proxy::expire
> expire_altmove = * 2555
>
> sieve_global_path = /home/mail/sieve/global.sieve
> sieve_global_dir = /home/mail/sieve
> sieve_dir=/home/mail/%d/%n/sieve
>
> }
>
> As said, everything works, eventually, but mail delivery is delayed a

Removing the expires plugin, due to removing its dict, causes everything
to work normally. for some reason, dovecot 1.2.13 with managesieve
0.11.11 doesn't like using any dictionaries such as:

#dict {
   # NOTE: dict process currently runs as root, so this file will be
owned as root.
#expire = mysql:/etc/dovecot/dict-expire.conf
#quotadict = mysql:/etc/dovecot/dict-quota.conf
#}

Since I use maildir, I don't need a quota dict, which means I can just
work around this problem. I don't HAVE to use expires as I have put a
cronjob to go around the spam and trash boxes, deleting messages over 60
days old, for spam, and 15 days for trash.

Please, someone, explain why the dictionaries do not want to work. I
used the sql config for both from the dovecot.org, those configs
relating to dovecot 1.2. I thought there may be a workaround of not
using the proxy::, as the mysql is on the same machine as dovecot and
multiple connections would not be a problem.

Jerrale G.

Shelton Computers