[Dovecot] 2.0 migration weirdnesses: logs and hang

Kyle Wheeler kyle-dovecot at memoryhole.net
Thu Aug 19 21:12:08 EEST 2010

On Thursday, August 19 at 07:05 PM, quoth Timo Sirainen:
>> I have log_path set to /dev/stderr, and no syslog_facility setting,
>> so... what could be going wrong?
>
> I've never tried logging to /dev/stderr with v2.0. I guess it should be
> possible to fix it..

:)

>> Second, when I create a new mailbox and copy messages across
>> namespaces, dovecot hangs. The mailbox is created and the messages
>> are copied successfully, but dovecot simply stops responding. I
>> can't even logout!
>
> So you can easily reproduce this? Could you get gdb backtrace from the
> hanging process?
>
> gdb -p <pid of hanging imap process>
> bt full

Sure thing. By the way, the proctitle is

     dovecot/imap [kyle at memoryhole.net 64.253.106.173 CLOSE UID COPY]

Here's the backtrace:

#0  0xb7fab424 in __kernel_vsyscall ()
No symbol table info available.
#1  0xb7defff8 in epoll_wait () from /lib/i686/cmov/libc.so.6
No symbol table info available.
#2  0xb7ec51f9 in io_loop_handler_run (ioloop=0x806d360) at ioloop-epoll.c:179
     ctx = (struct ioloop_handler_context *) 0x806d480
     event = <value optimized out>
     list = <value optimized out>
     io = <value optimized out>
     tv = {tv_sec = 1794, tv_usec = 888651}
     t_id = <value optimized out>
     msecs = 1794889
     ret = 0
     i = <value optimized out>
     j = <value optimized out>
     call = <value optimized out>
#3  0xb7ec4250 in io_loop_run (ioloop=0x806d360) at ioloop.c:350
No locals.
#4  0xb7eb172a in master_service_run (service=0x806d2b0, callback=0x8060040 <client_connected>) at master-service.c:496
No locals.
#5  0x0805ff95 in main (argc=Cannot access memory at address 0x0
) at main.c:358
     service_flags = <value optimized out>
     storage_service_flags = <value optimized out>
     postlogin_socket_path = 0x0
     username = 0x0
     c = <value optimized out>
     set_roots = {0x8062c80, 0x0}

I can recompile without optimization, if that would help (I just used
the default -O2).

~Kyle
--
The future is here. It's just not widely distributed yet.
                                                      -- William Gibson