[Dovecot] Home directories

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Aug 24 17:57:23 EEST 2010

I've noticed that a lot of people are using e.g.:

mail_location = maildir:/var/vmail/%d/%n

Then either they don't have home directory set, or their home directory
is the same as the maildir. http://wiki.dovecot.org/VirtualUsers/Home
explains all the problems of not separate home and mail directories.

Also whenever I try to suggest using a separate home and mail directory,
the answer is way too often: "But I'm using virtual users. (They don't
have home directories.)"

So I started wondering. Maybe simply renaming the "home" to something
else would help here at least some. Make all of the documentation use
only the new word, and add alias for userdb so that the new name and the
"home" both work (I guess docs would need to keep using the "home" as
field name for some more years).

So far I've only come up with "vhome" as the replacement name. Other
ideas?