[Dovecot] migration to dovecot 2.0

Carsten Laun-De Lellis carsten.laun-delellis at delellis.net
Thu Aug 26 15:21:39 EEST 2010

Hi everyone

I am not the dovecot guru and i would appreciate if anyone could help me
on my problems.

I am running a mail server on dovecot 1.2 and want to migrate to dovecot
2. I have edited the conf file and now using the new keywords and got
everything fixed but the following error message still exists, when i try
to start dovecot.

doveconf: Fatal: Error in configuration file
/usr/local/etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf line 1036: Unknown setting:
auth_socket
doveconf: Error: managesieve-login: dump-capability process returned 89
doveconf: Fatal: Error in configuration file ./dovecot.conf line 1036:
Unknown setting: auth_socket

My conf file looks like

auth_socket listen {
    master {
      # Master socket provides access to userdb information. It's typically
      # used to give Dovecot's local delivery agent access to userdb so it
      # can find mailbox locations.
      path = /var/run/dovecot/auth-master
      mode = 0600
      # Default user/group is the one who started dovecot-auth (root)
      user = vmail
      #group =
    }
    client {
      # The client socket is generally safe to export to everyone. Typical
use
      # is to export it to your SMTP server so it can do SMTP AUTH lookups
      # using it.
      path = /var/spool/postfix/private/auth
      # path = /var/run/dovecot/auth-client
      mode = 0660
      user = postfix
      group = postfix
    }
  }

I would appreciate any hints and help.

Mit freundlichem Gruß

Carsten Laun-De Lellis
Dipl.-Ing. Elektrotechnik
Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA)

Hauptstrasse 13
D-67705 Trippstadt

Phone:   +49 (6306) 992140
Mobile:  +49 (151) 27530865