[Dovecot] dovecot - mac firewall problem

Stan Hoeppner stan at hardwarefreak.com
Fri Aug 27 21:15:47 EEST 2010

Patrick Fay put forth on 8/26/2010 10:21 PM:
> Hi,
>     I am running dovecot 1.2.11 on mac osx 1.5.8.  Everything works
> perfectly with the application-level firewall off, but enabling the
> application firewall prevents dovecot connections.  I have tried
> explicitly authorizing dovecot in the firewall, but it does not work.  I
> have searched everywhere I can think of to look, and haven't found a
> solution, but have seen a couple other reports of what seems to be the
> same problem.  The firewall logs the activity with what looks like a
> corrupt process name: a typical appfirewall.log entry looks like:
>
> Aug 26 20:43:45 hostname Firewall[55]: Deny ^L connecting from
> XX.XX.XX.XX:37310 uid = 0 proto=6
> Aug 26 20:43:53 hostname Firewall[55]: Deny ^H�^U���^Z connecting from
> XX.XX.XX.XX:37310 uid = 0 proto=6
> Aug 26 20:44:09 hostname Firewall[55]: Deny ^L connecting from
> XX.XX.XX.XX:37310 uid = 0 proto=6
> Aug 26 20:44:34 hostname Firewall[55]: Deny ^L connecting from
> XX.XX.XX.XX:37312 uid = 0 proto=6
> Aug 26 20:44:45: --- last message repeated 6 times ---
>
> where "hostname" is my server name and the XX's are my client's IP
> address.  For all of the other services I've used, the process name
> (e.g. dovecot) should appear after "Deny" when blocking traffic, instead
> of the funny characters.  Any advice on how I could resolve this issue
> would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

The application level firewall in OSX is aimed at _client_ use, not
server use.  It's similar to Novell's AppArmor, etc.  Leave it turned off.

Simply because a piece of software (in this case an OS) offers any given
option does not mean every system needs it.  Can you offer a compelling
reason why you _need_ the OSX application level firewall enabled?
Please point us to documentation that advises using it for any of your
services/daemons.

--
Stan