[Dovecot] Problems Converting Maildir to mdbox

Kim Bisgaard kim+dovecot at alleroedderne.adsl.dk
Tue Aug 31 21:49:35 EEST 2010

  On 31-08-2010 20:38, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-08-28 at 17:17 +0200, Kim Bisgaard wrote:
>
>> Using this command ($1 is substituted for the user):
>> dsync -u $1 -o "mail_location=maildir:/data/mail/$1/mdir" mirror
>> "mdbox:/data/mail/$1/mdbox"
> I guess this should work.
>
>> After having learned that I need to create the destination directory
>> first, I got this error:
>> dsync(root): Fatal: Mail locations must use the same virtual mailbox
>> hierarchy separator (specify separator for the default namespace)
>>
>> Which I am afraid does not help me much - tried to set separator to '.'
>> in namespace but that only ended in lda/deliver refusing to deliver
>> mail. :-(
> What error did lda give? You probably should add:
Command output: doveconf: Fatal: Error in configuration file
/etc/dovecot/conf.d/10-mail.conf line 54: Unknown setting: separator )

(maildir uses '.' (I think)) so I only added:
namespace {
separator = .
}
> namespace {
>    separator = /
>    inbox = yes
> }
Intuitively I would have expected '.' and not '/' (default (m)dbox),
since I'm converting between maildir (.) and dbox(/) - right?