[Dovecot] Forcibly emptying a POP3 mailbox

Dmitri V. Ivanov dima at intex.spb.ru
Fri Feb 5 18:37:09 EET 2010

On Wed, Feb 03, 2010 at 06:41:34PM +0200, R??zvan Sandu wrote:
> Please provide a suggestion for the following situation:
>
> - I am running a stock POP3 dovecot server, on Fedora 12 (dovecot
> version 1.2.9)

> However, there are users that check the infamous ???Leave a copy on the
> server??? checkbox (or equivalent) in their mail clients, eventually
> adding ???Delete messages after X days???.
>
> Since I have no direct administrative control on the clients, I
> absolutely need a way to forbid the above behaviour at server level, in
> order to enforce the policy. The server's HDD is meant to store received
> messages from reception to the first access only.

Well-well-well. I don't know the situation with dovecot POP3 server, but look
on RFC 2449 and especially "expire" extension.

I think there is other question and it is right one:

Can dovecot pop3 server deal with pop3 extensions (supports "capa" command)
and can it deal with "expire" extension and how to use it?

Sorry that not much help...

WBR
Dmitri Ivanov