[Dovecot] mdbox compression

Patrick Domack patrickdk at patrickdk.com
Sat Feb 6 05:06:49 EET 2010

It's the real question of where the file is stored. For me, using nfs,
using compression given me several times the performance of nfs, vs
not using compression, for html files.

I would imagine the same benifits with email.

I would say something very close to the same with mdbox, if it's going
over the network to a database server, compression will should clearly
speed things up.

Now if your storing it on the local machine, then yes, compression
will do nothing but slow things down, but can give you increased
storage space.