[Dovecot] Compressing Maildir mails on delivery

Amon Ott ao at m-privacy.de
Sat Feb 6 20:33:48 EET 2010

On Saturday 06 February 2010 wrote Timo Sirainen:
> Now supported by v2.0. Also as a patch to v1.2:
> http://dovecot.org/patches/1.2/zlib-compress.diff
>
> I'm not really sure if I should commit it to v1.2 code tree. The code
> contains ugly copy&pasted io_stream_copy() and v1.2 is supposed to be
> feature complete..

In would sure like to see that feature in stable 1.2. It is optional and in a
plugin, so quite unlikely to harm. And you could even require a configure
flag for it.

If I could enable it per user, it would be perfect, but current is already
nice to have. We have some customers who like to keep their mail data
forever, and compressing on the fly would be much nicer than a nightly cron
job. :)

Amon Ott
--
** Besuchen Sie uns auf der CeBIT: Halle 11 am Stand C11-C13 ! **

Dr. Amon Ott - m-privacy GmbH
Am Köllnischen Park 1, 10179 Berlin
Tel: +49 30 24342334
Fax: +49 30 24342336