[Dovecot] Also - is there a reliable way for TB to know it is connecting to a dovecot server?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sat Feb 6 20:36:50 EET 2010

On Thu, 2010-02-04 at 07:39 -0500, Charles Marcus wrote:
> Would it be possible for a standalone IMAP client like TB to somehow
> download dovecot's indexes and make use of them locally?
>
> So, for example, instead of downloading the headers for 10000
> messages in a folder, it could simply download and utilize dovecots
> index(es) for that folder?

Well, those are basically the same things. Dovecot's indexes contain the
headers that TB wants, so it already kind of fetches the indexes.. The
only way to avoid fetching all of them would be if TB was smart and
fetched headers of messages only visible on screen. There are two
clients I know of that supports that: (Al)pine and Trojita.