[Dovecot] blocked for xx secs

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sat Feb 6 20:58:26 EET 2010

On Mon, 2010-01-25 at 13:16 +0000, Andrew Hearn wrote:
>  dovecot: Warning: chdir(/maildir/x.co.uk/users/y) blocked for 18 secs
> This tends to last a minute or so for different users.
>
> /maildir is a NFS mount, and I'm suspecting it's the NFS server being
> busy and dovecot having to wait.

Right.

> Other than replacing the NFS server with faster hardware is there
> anything else we can do?

Nope. Although with v2.0 the warning is gone, it'll just silently wait
for however long it needs to. But then it's the imap/pop3 process that
waits, not a forked "dovecot" master process, which was causing
confusion.

Oh, and of course you could try to reduce disk I/O on the NFS server. If
you've only a single Dovecot server, you can keep using
mail_nfs_storage=no. Also you could try maildir_very_dirty_syncs=yes if
you've nothing else besides Dovecot touching your maildirs.