[Dovecot] dovecot and firstname.initial.lastname mbox format archive

Wilko Bulte wkb at xs4all.nl
Wed Feb 10 21:36:33 EET 2010

hi

Today I have been in a puzzling fight with 2 dovecot versions that I would
like to ask some comments on.

The situation is this:

- I have a considerable mail archive in mbox format (yes, I know, but that
  is what I have..).
- My mail reader is mutt 1.5.20 by the way.
- Some of these mbox files have names like firstname.initial.lastname
  Note the . seperating the parts of the email-ers name.
- On my old system I have dovecot v 1.1.7 which has always worked flawless
- On my new system I have dovecot v 1.2.8 which refuses to handle these
  dot-seperated files.  I get the somewhat familiar
   "Mailbox doesn't allow inferior mailboxes".
  On a not-previously-existing mbox dovecot 1.2.8  produces the directory
  hierarchy thing: firstname -> initial -> lastname
- I am using the same dovecot.conf on v.1.1.7 and v.1.2.8

Can anyone tell me if v1.2.8 no longer is able to do what v1.1.7 did?  And
what I dearly would like to get working :-(  And if it can, what should I
put in dovecot.conf to make that happen?

thanks,
Wilko

--
wilko at FreeBSD.org