[Dovecot] fts squat -> webmail, fastcgi timeout: SOLR the answer?

Thu Feb 11 00:12:37 EET 2010

On 2010-02-10 2:28 PM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> Charles Marcus put forth on 2/10/2010 8:04 AM:
>> I haven't used any other MUA for years,

Me neither...

> so I don't know how they do their searches. However, it doesn't make
> technical sense to perform a full body search in the MUA since all
> the body data is typically left on the IMAP server.

Agreed... but this is exactly what TB2 did for so long that used to
drive me crazy. That and download the same attachment over and over and
over again.

> This would make the search horribly slow over dsl/cable and generate
> a ton of useless network traffic.

Yep - and again, this is exactly what TB2 did all the time - and is why
I generally didn't do full body searches.

>> So - is there a user pref that can be set in user.js to enable full body
>> server-side searches (ie for servers using dovecot with fts squat enabled)?

> Again, TB can _ONLY_ do server side body searches. UNLESS you've
> enabled off line mode and have synchronized the IMAP folders.

Ok, I was apparently thinking about this wrong.

> To "synchronize" in TB terminology means to download a complete copy
> of the selected IMAP folders to the local hard disk. Once the IMAP
> folders are on the local hard disk, and you enable off line mode, any
> body searches of your IMAP folders will occur on the local machine.
> This isn't difficult to understand is it?

No, and I'm not sure whats up with the attitude, but please lose it.

>> My understanding is that not *all* headers are indexed, only 'Normal'
>> headers - which is why I opened bug 543956...

> Ok, I'll go with that. RFC821 headers are indexed but MIME headers
> are not.

I don't think this is accurate. More than just the MIME headers are
*not* currently downloaded. Custom headers are not downloaded, and
neither are the 'Received' date header or the X-Delivered-To header to
name two but apparently there are more.

> And MIME headers probably shouldn't be anyway, as there would be no
> benefit except maybe in extremely rare cases.

How about so an intellignet MUA could decide what MIME parts to download
and when? Unless it takes up a lot of extra disk space, imo there is
simply no good reason not to download the FULL headers regardless of how
offline/sync settings are defined.
--

Best regards,

Charles Marcus