[Dovecot] deliver and cloning file permissions

Pascal Volk user+dovecot at localhost.localdomain.org
Sun Feb 14 01:45:50 EET 2010

On 02/14/2010 12:03 AM Alexander 'Leo' Bergolth wrote:
> On 02/13/2010 09:28 PM, Pascal Volk wrote:
>> Dovecot: dovecot.conf²
>> 	mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir
>
> Unfortunately switching from mbox to maildir is not an option.
>
> Btw. I don't see the solution. If the inbox is still /var/mail/<user>
> and is still group-owned by "mail", dovecot will still have the same
> problems cloning the group-permissions to ~/Maildir.

Because you've overlooked, at least removed, the Postfix configuration
setting in the quoted part. When Dovecot's mail_location is set to
'maildir:~/Maildir' and Postfix's mailbox_command (for local users)
points to Dovecot's deliver, all mails will be delivered via deliver
into the INBOX from the mail_location setting.

The users INBOX would be still in /var/mail/<user>, if you would use
Postfix's local daemon for local delivery and Dovecot's mail_location
would be set to: mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir:INBOX=/var/mail/%u

Regards,
Pascal
The trapper recommends today: deadbeef.1004500 at localdomain.org