[Dovecot] comprehensive info on search capabilities?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun Feb 14 21:36:20 EET 2010

On Sun, 2010-02-14 at 11:57 +0000, Kārlis Repsons wrote:
> People,
> where to read about how to make the most of the current Dovecot search
> capabilities, including squat and possibly also the related future plans?
> There are many aspects like IMAP protocol itself, extensions, current support
> into Dovecot, support among MUAs... Could you post some good links, please?

There isn't really much to say about this I think:

Squat: Supposed to be completely transparent, but I don't like its
performance. The indexing speed is too slow. And it seems like the
incremental indexing rebuilds the index too often. (I used to use it,
but every time I wanted to do a search, it spent a few minutes on
indexing, even when there hadn't been all that many new messages.) Needs
a redesign some day.

Solr: You can either configure it to use X-FAST-TEXT/X-FAST-BODY
searches, which aren't supported by any clients (the idea was to modify
your webmail to use them), or you could configure it to use the regular
TEXT/BODY searches and be usable transparently, but that violates IMAP
RFC.

There's also FUZZY search extension draft, which is mainly about making
X-FAST-* standardized and perhaps supported by clients some day.