[Dovecot] wish now I'd not upgraded...

Stan Hoeppner stan at hardwarefreak.com
Mon Feb 15 16:14:24 EET 2010

Upgraded from Debian Dovecot 1.0.15 to Debian Dovecot 1.2.10-1~bpo50+1.

I use Postfix local delivery to and Dovecot mbox.  As per upgrade directions, I
stopped dovecot processes and deleted all dovecot.index.cache files in
/home/%user/mail/.imap.  Performed upgrade to 1.2.10-1~bpo50+1.  Modified new
dovecot.conf for my environment.  Started dovecot.

Problem:  Instantly noticed in TB 3.0.1 Win32 that all emails in all folders
were marked as unread.  Stopped TB, stopped dovecot, deleted *all* files in
/home/%user/mail/imap/ so indexes and caches could be rebuilt from scratch.
Started dovecot, started TB.  Same problem.

Then I got ugly, stopped TB and dovecot, deleted all ~.imap/ files *and* deleted
*all* TB cache and index files with a time stamp of today.  Restarted dovecot,
restarted TB.  Same damn problem.  I sit hit right clicking folder after folder
and selecting "mark as read", only to see all the emails in the folder go "read"
and then within seconds go back to marked as unread (bold).  Opening messages
one at a time and moving to the next doesn't even keep them marked as read.

WTF is going on?  Why won't they stay marked as read?  I've got over 25,000
emails in these folders and I get a few hundred list mails a day.  I really need
to get this read/unread business straightened out.

What the heck am I missing?  Is this a  bug in the Debian backport?  Good thing
I have no hair or I'd have pulled half of it out by now...

--
Stan