[Dovecot] auth processes

Stan Hoeppner stan at hardwarefreak.com
Tue Feb 16 16:16:23 EET 2010

With 1.0.15 my configuration I a single dovecot-auth process, which is what I
want now.  Since upgrading to 1.2.10 I have two such processes:

root     16992 16990  0 Feb15 ?        00:00:00 dovecot-auth
root     16997 16990  0 Feb15 ?        00:00:00 dovecot-auth -w

I can't seem to tweak dovecot.conf to get this down to one auth process again.
I've tried setting each of these below to 0, which resulted in either none, or
one auth process.  In the case of the one auth process, T-Bird wasn't working
correctly, although it presented no pop up or other errors.  When I'd click an
IMAP folder it would just show whitespace and never pull up the emails.

auth_worker_max_count =

# Number of authentication processes to create
   count =

This is an extremely low volume host, and I'm an efficiency freak.  I don't like
having "unnecessary" processes running if it is at all possible to avoid it.
Given my IMAP user load, I know for a fact that I should only need one auth
process, and for that matter, given my load, running all the dovecot processes
from inetd is even a valid option, although I've not yet attempted that.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

--
Stan