[Dovecot] dovecot and firstname.initial.lastname mbox format archive

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Feb 18 17:26:54 EET 2010

On Mon, 2010-02-15 at 19:13 +0100, Wilko Bulte wrote:
> > > - On my new system I have dovecot v 1.2.8 which refuses to handle these
> > >  dot-seperated files.  I get the somewhat familiar
> > >   "Mailbox doesn't allow inferior mailboxes".
> >
> I have attached the dovecot -n from my dovecot 1.2.8 which does not want to
> accept firstname.initial.lastname.  This is the dovecot128.conf file.

I don't see anything obviously wrong. Try talking IMAP protocol
directly, maybe your client is doing something wrong.

http://wiki.dovecot.org/TestInstallation

After login try something like:

a create foo.bar.baz
b select foo.bar.baz

If that succeeds, it's probably client issue. Recreating the account
might help. Or look at what the actual IMAP traffic is that it sends to
Dovecot (http://wiki.dovecot.org/Debugging/Rawlog).