[Dovecot] Poll: Quota near full behavior? [Was: Feature request? Make deliver quota inclusive!]

Thu Feb 18 17:48:36 EET 2010

On 2010-02-18 9:57 AM, Steffen Kaiser wrote:
> But I'd like the "deliver a message if user is under quota and the
> message is smaller than quota".
> Or an option "deliver may exceed the quota by X", sort of like the
> quota_rules for Trash, but for the service. Possible not all scenarios
> can tweak a special .conf for deliver containing increased quota_rules.

As long as this is configurable, that should be enough to make everyone
happy, but why complicate things unnecessarily? It is really simple...

User has quota assigned

User allows mail to pile up

Eventually, a message is delivered that puts user over quota

Mail is rejected until user deals with over quota state

Why put the LDA to all the work of calculating if one message will cause
user to go over quota but not another? Even worse is calculating a
certain 'allowance' of over quota...

The only time I can see this being an issue is when the quota in
question is ridiculously low (10MB?), where the user could receive a
whole lot of tiny text messages, but one message with a fairly large
attachment could take up the whole quota.

But in the modern age, just delivering mail until the quota is exceeded
then rejecting seems to be the simplest thing to do, and imo should be
the default...