[Dovecot] Courier->Dovecot Migration Issue

Tony Rutherford tony at bluetie.com
Thu Feb 18 18:26:07 EET 2010

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-02-17 at 11:31 -0500, Tony Rutherford wrote:
>
>>> The last three entries exist in the Courier IMAP file, but NOT the Courier
>>> POP file.  The resulting dovecot-uidlist format is different, but to be
>>> honest, I haven't been able to find the exact specification for the format
>>> of the dovecot-uidlist file (if it exists).
>>>
> .-
>
>> During the migration, it appears that the emphasis is placed on
>> maintaining the Pop3 message sequence...at the cost of possibly changing
>> IMAP UIDs.
>>

> Well, with v1.1+ it's possible to preserve both POP3 and IMAP UIDs (each
> line is <IMAP uid> P<POP3 UIDL> :<filename>). I guess the script doesn't
> merge IMAP and POP3 messages well enough. Feel free to fix the script ;)
>

>> Here's a question though.  If the dovecot-uidlist file is deleted (for
>> whatever reason), it gets rebuilt by Dovecot.  But, how does it get
>> rebuilt?  It does not appear to generate uids based on the date of
>> messages...I believe that to be true.  Is there any flag/option in
>> Dovecot to build the uidlist file based on message date (uids ordered by
>> date)?
>>

> The added mails are ordered by their filename. The filename typically
> begins with timestamp of when the message was received, so it's
> practically in the same order as mails were received.

Yes, unless you're unfortunate enough to be supporting a non-standard legacy message name format based on uuidgen!    I did see the function where it attempts to compare based on the "standard" filename format...but again, unfortunately I have to deal with non-standard as well as the standard format :(

Thanks,
Tony