[Dovecot] 2nd REPOST: mbox vs maildir

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Feb 18 19:24:27 EET 2010

On Thu, 2010-02-18 at 10:21 -0700, Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:
> namespace private {
>     separator = /
>     prefix = "mail/"
>     location = mbox:~/mail:INBOX=/var/mail/%u
>     inbox = yes
>     hidden = no
>     list = no   # for v1.1+
> }
>
> namespace private {
>     separator = /
>     prefix = "mail-Archives/"
>     location = mbox:~/mail-Archives
>     inbox = no
>     hidden = no
>     list = yes
>     subscriptions = yes
> }

Those look correct.

>     Now when I open Outlook, I get nothing except the INBOX.  I can't
> see anything else.  When I go into 'IMAP Folders' and hit refresh, I see
> the INBOX file, and the tree for 'mail-Archives', but I can't see any
> files (mailboxes) within that tree, so I can't subscribe to anything.
> The 'mail/' namespace doesn't seem to exist since it doesn't show up at all.
>
>     Checking Thunderbird, I can see and subscribe to anything in
> 'mail/', but like Outlook I can only see the tree in 'mail-Archives' but
> I can't see the individual files (mailboxes) within the folders to be
> able to subscribe to them.

Well, clients can become confused a bit too easily. Try talking IMAP
protocol directly: http://wiki.dovecot.org/TestInstallation

After logging in, the important commands to try would be:

a LIST "" *
b LSUB "" *
c SELECT mail-Archive/something-that-actually-exists
d SUBSCRIBE mail-Archive/something-that-actually-exists

Where does it fail?