[Dovecot] GlusterFs - Any new progress reports?

Eric Rostetter rostetter at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Feb 18 23:10:39 EET 2010

Quoting Steve <steeeeeveee at gmx.net>:

> I have already installed GFS on a cluster in the past, but never on DRBD.

Me too (I did in on a real physical SAN before).

> Hmm... when I started with GlusterFS I thought that using more then
> two nodes is something that I will never need.

GlusterFS is really designed to allow such things...  So is GFS.  But
these are filesystems...

DRBD isn't really designed to scale this way.  A SAN or NAS is.

> But now that I have GlusterFS up and running and I am using more
> then two nodes I really see a benefit in being able to use more then
> two nodes. For me this is a big advantage of GlusterFS compared to
> DRBD.

You are comparing filesystems to storage/mirroring systems.  Not a
valid comparison...

>> My proposed solution to the more-than-two-nodes is gnbd...
>>
> Never heard of it before. Don't like the fact that I need to patch
> the Kernel in order to get it working.

GNDB is a standard part of GFS.  No more patching than GFS or DRBD in
any case...  Red Hat and clones all come with support for GFS and
GNDB built in.  DRBD is another issue...

GNDB should be known to anyone using GFS, since it is part of the standard
reading (manual, etc) for GFS.

>> If that doesn't meet your needs, then DRBD probably isn't the proper
>> choice.
>> You didn't mention anything about number of nodes in your original post,
>> IIRC.
>>
> I did not post the original post. I just responded to the original
> post saying that GlusterFS works for me.

I didn't mean to single you out in my reply...  Assume the "you"
is a generic you, not specifically aimed at any one individual...

Sorry if I miss-attributed anything to you...  Very busy, and trying
to reply to these emails as fast as I can when I get a minute or two
of time, so I may make some mistakes as to who said what...

I'm not trying to convert or convince any one...  I'm just replying and
expressing my experiences and thoughts...  If glusterfs works for you,
then great.  If not, there are alternatives...  I happen to champion
some, others champion others...

Personally, I like SAN storage, but the price has always kept me from
using it (except once, when I was setting it up on someone else's SAN).

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

Go Longhorns!